As a great way to improve cardiovascular health, the American Heart Association recommends that adults partake in at least 150 minutes of aerobic physical activities every week. While children and adolescents are recommended to partake in at least 60 minutes every day. Hence, joining a good aerobics fitness class near you can go a long way in reducing your risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and stroke. Other benefits of aerobics fitness classes include improved cognition and brainpower, better sleep, weight regulation, better bone health and balance, a strengthened immune system, an overall sense of well-being, and better life quality.
When faced with the decision of selecting the right aerobics fitness class to join, you can narrow your options down to the best fitness clubs nearby by asking the following questions:
Are You Licensed, Registered, or Certified?
Aerobics fitness instructors do not typically have to obtain state-issued occupational or professional licenses before providing their services to clients. However, the fitness clubs that employ these instructors may be required to obtain certain state or local permits and licenses before they can legally conduct business. Therefore, before joining an aerobics fitness club near you, you need to make sure that the club complies with any licensing or registration requirements that may be applicable in your area of residence. You can do this by contacting the consumer protection agency that is responsible for your locality.
Note that even though aerobics fitness instructors do not require occupational licenses, these individuals can still obtain certifications from several professional organizations. Certification typically means that the instructor has undergone certain training and tests, passed necessary examinations, and has been deemed fit by a reputable organization to provide you with safe and proper instruction. As such, even though it is not mandatory, it is always a good idea to make sure that your aerobics fitness instructor has been certified. Some organizations that provide certification opportunities for aerobics fitness instructors include the American Sports and Fitness Association, the Athletic and Fitness Association of America, and the American Council on Exercise.
Finally, membership in a reputable trade association, such as the International Health, Racquet and Sportsclub Association, is a bonus when contemplating the choice of a good aerobics fitness club near you to join. These types of associations generally expect their members to operate in a professional manner that is in line with a specified code of conduct and they can provide a useful avenue for seeking necessary sanctions if you should have an unsavory experience with a fitness club or instructor. You should always confirm that an aerobics fitness club actually belongs to a trade association by requesting proof of membership. Likewise, you should also request proof of professional certification from any instructor that the fitness club assigns to you.
How Much Do Aerobics Fitness Classes Cost?
The average cost of aerobics fitness classes in the United States is $30 - $40 per session. The costs of these sessions are affected by factors like your location, the length of the session, the type of session, and your fitness club or instructor's reputation. Some common aerobics fitness classes cost estimates include:
Cost estimates by session length:
- 30 minutes $25 - $50
- 60 minutes - $40 - $90
- 90 minutes - $60 - $120
- Monthly package $200 - $400
Cost estimates by type of session:
- One on one training - $30 - $90
- Group sessions - $25 - $35 per person
- Online sessions - $15 - $45 per month
- Sessions with celebrity trainers - $5,000 - $15,000 per month
You can utilize the following strategies to save money on aerobics fitness classes:
- Take advantage of free or discounted trials: many fitness clubs and studios offer free or reduced-cost trial memberships for prospective new members ranging from free first classes to free or discounted fees for the first week or month. Utilizing these discounts is a good way to find out if an aerobics fitness club or instructor will be the right fit for you
- Consider bulk purchases: if you intend to regularly attend the aerobics fitness club, then purchasing a package deal and paying for multiple sessions at once is a good way to save money. Doing this will typically cost you less than paying for each visit you make to the club
- Inquire about available discounts: fitness clubs typically offer several types of discounts. For example, some clubs offer discounts to members that can bring in large groups of people to sign up for classes. Likewise, many fitness clubs have student, senior citizen, and active military discounts. Asking about any available discounts that may apply to you is a good way to save costs on aerobics fitness classes
- Sign up for email alerts: signing up for email alerts from your aerobics fitness club can help you get information about special package offerings that the club may have to offer. These types of packages are usually available during holidays, long weekends, and other special occasions
- Make use of apps: there are several apps, such as ClassPass, that let you mix and match different types of aerobics fitness classes and exercises from various fitness clubs at a rate that is usually cheaper than joining these individual clubs. Similarly, apps like Mindbody provide you with access to fitness clubs near you that may have available limited offer discounts and reduced prices
What Are Common Aerobics Fitness Class Expenses?
Joining an aerobics fitness club typically comes with additional expenses that are not usually included in the cost of the actual fitness classes. These expenses include:
- Membership fees: many fitness clubs require you to pay a membership fee before utilizing their facilities or joining their aerobics exercise sessions. This fee is usually charged monthly and costs an average of $15 - $50
- Enrollment fees: in addition to membership fees, some fitness clubs may also charge a one-time enrollment or sign-up fee. This usually ranges from $30 to $50, but some clubs may charge as high as $100 or more
- Miscellaneous expenses: this includes the cost of appropriate clothing, footwear, and any other materials that may be needed for the aerobics fitness class. For example, Zumba classes generally require small handheld weights known as toning sticks, and these cost an average of $10 - $25. Some fitness clubs may include the cost of these miscellaneous items as part of their membership or enrollment fees, but you should always confirm this
Who Will Do the Work?
When you join an aerobics fitness club near you, you need to know who will be teaching your fitness class and make sure that this instructor is not only qualified but also has a personality that is compatible with yours. Confirm that the fitness instructor is certified and that the fitness club is also a member of a reputable trade association. You can verify these by contacting the relevant certifying organization and trade association respectively. In addition to this, you should also make sure that the aerobics fitness club, as well as its employees, are covered by a valid insurance policy. Finally, discuss your goals for joining the aerobics fitness class with the instructor that is assigned to you. Inform the instructor of any health conditions or injuries that you may have and find out how the exercises will progress or change over time. If you are not satisfied with the responses that you get from the instructor, you should consider getting a different one. Find out if a different fitness instructor can be assigned to you or look for a different aerobics fitness club near you that is more compatible with you and your unique situation.
What Qualifications Should an Aerobics Fitness Instructor Have?
The United States currently has over 248,000 exercise trainers and fitness instructors employed across various industries in the country. Many employers require these exercise trainers and fitness instructors to have a high school certificate or its educational equivalent. Some employers may also prefer aerobics fitness instructors that have an associate's or bachelor's degree in programs related to health and fitness like kinesiology, exercise science, and physical education. In addition, some aerobics fitness clubs and gyms may also require their instructors to obtain professional certifications. While this is not mandatory, it is encouraged, especially for fitness instructors that wish to handle one on one classes with clients. Aerobics fitness instructors can obtain certifications from organizations like the Athletics and Fitness Association of America, the American Council on Exercise, and the American Sports and Fitness Association. Depending on the organization, these fitness instructors may have to pass written and practical examinations before obtaining the certification.
Note that newly employed aerobics fitness instructors may be required to work alongside more experienced instructors for a specified timeframe before being allowed to handle fitness classes alone. The length of this timeframe is dependent on the aerobics fitness club that hires the instructor. Finally, some aerobics fitness clubs and instructors join trade associations like the International Health, Racquet and Sportsclub Association. Membership in a reputable fitness-related trade association is usually an indication that the club or instructor conducts business professionally.
Will You Provide References?
After finding out the cost of aerobics fitness classes, confirming the qualifications of your intended aerobics fitness instructor, and making sure that you are compatible with this instructor, the next step to take before joining an aerobics fitness club near you is to request references. Asking for references is a good way to get first-hand opinions and reviews on the aerobics fitness club from past clients. Clubs that have a good reputation will readily provide you with this information and may even point you to a testimonials page on their official websites, if they have one. Never sign up with any aerobics fitness club that is either hesitant to provide references or cannot provide up to three verifiable references.
It should be noted that even if the aerobics fitness club you wish to join was referred to you by a friend or family member, it is always a good idea to still ask the club to provide you with additional references. Alternatively, you can utilize online resources to get unbiased reviews and opinions on aerobics fitness clubs that were referred to you by trusted friends and family members. Examples of these online resources are third-party websites like Better Business Bureau, Google Review, and Yelp. Finally, you can contact your local attorney general's office or consumer protection agency to find out if any official complaints or negative reports have been filed against the aerobics fitness club and the circumstances that led to these complaints or reports being filed.
Quick Facts about Aerobics Fitness Instructors
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Expert Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Aerobics Fitness Classes
What Is the Best Fitness Class for Beginners?
Some of the best fitness and workout classes for beginners include:
- HIIT (High-intensity Interval Training)
- Step Aerobics
What Do You Do in Aerobic Classes? What Are the Types of Aerobic Exercise?
Aerobic classes generally involve moderate-intensity physical activities that you can carry out or sustain for more than a few minutes. These activities are aimed at improving your cardiorespiratory fitness and overall health. Common types of aerobic exercise are:
- Jumping rope
What Are the Benefits of Aerobic Exercise?
Regular aerobic exercise has several benefits and positive effects on your health. Some of these benefits include:
- It controls and regulates your blood sugar levels
- It helps with weight loss and weight management
- It helps you sleep better
- It improves lung function
- It improves your body tone
- It improves your cardiovascular health and conditioning
- It improves your endurance
- It increases your HDL (high-density lipoprotein) levels
- It lowers your blood pressure
- It lowers your risk of type-2 diabetes
- It reduces your risk of heart disease
What Are the Guidelines for Aerobic Exercise or Fitness Plan?
To get the best out of your aerobic exercise or fitness plan, you should utilize the FITT guideline. FITT is an acronym for frequency, intensity, time, and type of exercise:
- Frequency: maintain a consistent exercise frequency. Many fitness instructors and health professionals recommend at least 30 minutes of exercise every five to seven days
- Intensity: Ensure that the intensity of your workouts is not enough to prevent you from conversing with someone else. Also, you should always warm-up for at least five minutes before beginning each workout and take another five minutes to cool down after each workout
- Time: each exercise or workout should last for at least 10 minutes, and this timing should be aimed at achieving your goal of a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise per day
- Type: ensure that the type of exercise you decide to do is enough to get raise your heart rate for at least 10 minutes
Note that these are just guidelines and you should discuss with your aerobics fitness instructor to tailor an exercise or fitness plan that will meet your specific needs and goals.
Are Fitness Classes Better than Gym?
Whether or not attending fitness classes is better than hitting the gym is heavily dependent on your personality and goals. Fitness classes have several advantages over gyms, such as group motivation, structure, variety, fun, accountability, and a lower risk of injury due to proper supervision. However, if you feel self-conscious in groups, you have a specific goal for your training, or you have a schedule that does not match fitness class times, then working out at a gym may be a better fit for you.
Is Zumba a Good Way to Lose Belly Fat?
Yes, Zumba is a good way to lose belly fat. This type of aerobic exercise involves moderate to high-intensity workouts that improve cardiovascular fitness and lower blood sugar levels and cholesterol, resulting in an overall loss of body fat, including fat from your belly.
What Should You Do Before You Begin Your Zumba Workout?
Before you begin a Zumba workout, taking the following steps can help you achieve the best and safest outcome from this exercise:
- Wear attire that is comfortable and easy to move around in
- Wear low tread shoes
- Eat something light before the class to charge up your body for the workout. Also, it is advisable to drink water no later than 20 minutes before the start of the class
- Limit your classes to two or three times a week to give you time to build your stamina. You can increase the frequency of your workouts as your body starts getting used to the intensity of the exercise. You should also consult with your doctor before you begin taking Zumba classes if you have an underlying health condition
What Is the Most Extreme Workout Program?
Some of the toughest fitness classes and most extreme workout programs in the United States are:
- Alpha Training
- High Ride Cycle
- Orangetheory Fitness
- P90X Pylo
- Pilates Plus
- Ropes and Rowers
- Tone House
Is Working out 30 Minutes a Day Enough to Lose Weight?
Yes, regular moderate exercise is enough to lose weight. By consistently working out hard enough to sweat for at least 30 minutes a day, you can lose as much as nine pounds over a three-month period. Many professional fitness instructors recommend shorter periods of exercise because they generally leave you with enough energy to remain physically active for the rest of your day.